Wednesday, April 09, 2008

MagicJack -- too good to be true?

I have family in Manila, and pay about $60 a month in long distance calls from the US. I've recently discovered a device that could help me save in this regard. The company and the device is called magicjack ->http://www.magicjack.com/. It is an amazing device, and I have actually bought 2 units already. I suggest you check it out. It basically costs $40 for first year, and $20 every year thereafter.

And the voice quality is pretty good. Comparable to a land line, but better than a cell call. I just used it to make 1800 calls last night for some account maintenance chores (about 40 minutes on the phone). I have used it also to make long distance calls to Manila (2 calls already), and they did not even notice that I was using this magicjack line!

BTW, per minute rates to Manila from the US using Magicjack are currently around 18 cents a minute, about the going market rate. And you have to prepay/load your account in 5$ increments via their website.

My purpose for magicjack -- to send it to Manila, and so they can have a US based phone number sitting in manila. Then my dad can call anyone in the us/canada for free, and I call him for free on weekends using my cell (or maybe I should get my own magicjack for here...) With this gadget, my dad can call me and my 5 other siblings in the US. Hmmm, maybe they can split the cost with me... :-)

Downside, you need a PC on as the USB dongle is attached to a PC. If someone calls you at this time, you get an email with an attached wave file of the caller's voicemail.

Definitely worth checking out. If they close shop, then I lost $40 per line. That is just the cost of one month's manila calls! I have not tried to use their tech support, and luckily, have not needed to. Pretty low cost/high reward situation.

I hate to say that it sounds too good to be true -- but check it out and let me know what you think.

Full disclosure -- I have no incentive for this entry (financial or otherwise) from magicjack.

No comments: